Recipe by Scrivener1
I found this recipe in Great Good Food by Julee Rosso. I made this for the first time at Christmas 2005. Everyone loved it. It is rich, but tasty.
- 2 cups dried cherries
- 2 cups pitted dates, chopped
- 1 cup cream sherry
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups walnuts, chopped
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 300°F.
- Lightly spray or wipe four 3x6x2 inch loaf pans with vegetable oil. (I used muffin cups which worked out great).
- In a large bowl, combine cherries, dates, and 1/2 cup sherry; set aside for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a separate large bowl, mix flour, sugar, and baking powder. Add the nuts. Add the egg and egg whites. Mix well.
- Stir the flour mixture into the fruit mixture. Place 1 cup of batter into each loaf pan.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and immediately pour the remaining sherry over the loaves.
- Keep in a tin, well wrapped with plastic wrap, for up to two weeks.