Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a perfect recipe for those who always wish for more cherries. How can you go wrong with cherries and almonds?
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup maraschino cherry, well drained, coarsely chopped (10-oz. jar)
- 2⁄3 cup almonds, chopped
- Lightly grease a 9x5x3-in. loaf pan and set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, stir together flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In small bowl, stir together egg, milk, cooking oil and almond extract 'til well combined.
- Add egg mixture to dry mixture all at once. Stir 'til just moistened. Fold in the maraschino cherries and chopped almonds. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in a 350ºF. oven 1 hour or 'til a wooden toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
- Cool in loaf pan on wire rack 10 minutes. Remove loaf from pan. Cool completely on the wire rack.
- Wrap and store overnight before slicing.
You are right, perfect recipe for those who always wish for more cherries. The grand kids love it with peanutbutter and I like as is. We followed the recipe exactly and it turned out beautiful and great tasting. We Thank You for the fun at PRMR 2013....Grpa
Delicious tasting bread!!! Hubby took it to work and everyone loved it also. I followed the recipe exactly and it turned out beautiful and great tasting. Made for Rookie Tag Game 2013.
I did half the recipe cause I only got half a jar of maraschino cherries. But I used a large egg (hard to divide LOL). For half the recipe, it needed 1/4 cup of sugar and 1/4 cup of brown sugar but I used a little bit less of each. I reduced just a little bit for the milk because of the whole egg. I used sliced almonds. And I made this in 12 small muffin crown pans. I just bought it and it was my first time doing this. I love the taste and the texture is moist. Thanks Annacia. Made for Holiday Tag.