Prep 30 mins
Cook 55 mins
Given to me by a friend - yet to try.
Make and share this Cherry Vanilla Slab Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, divided
- 1 lemon, zested & juiced
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 lbs cherries, pitted & halved (about 6 cups)
- 2⁄3 cup icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Pulse flour, butter, shortening and salt in a food processor until crumbly. Whisk 1 egg with 2 tsp lemon juice and add enough ice water to make 2/3 cup.
- Add to the flour mixture and pulse until dough comes together.
- Form into oblong disk. Chill.
- Preheat over to 375.
- On a well floured surface, roll dough into a large rectangle, about 1/8 inch thick.
- Trim dough into a 12x18 rectangle.
- Carefully transfer dough to a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Stir sugar with corn starch and lemon zest until combined.
- Sprinkle half of the mixture evenly down the length of one side of the rectangle, leaving a 1 inch border.
- Arrange cherries evenly over the sugar mixture.
- Whisk 1 tbsp lemon juice with vanilla, drizzle evenly over the cherries.
- Sprinkle remaining sugar evenly on top.
- Fold dough over to cover the filling. Fold an additional 1/2 inch of dough from bottom layer over top layer along the edges; crimp with a fork to seal.
- Whisk remaining egg with a little water and brush all over the pastry.
- Slash 4 vent holes in top.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely.
- Optional Glaze: Blend icing sugar with milk until smooth. Drizzle evenly over the cooled pie.