Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is partly from the Foodnetwork.com. I added the protein powder to give a balance of carbs and protein.
- 2 cups cups water
- 1 cup old fashioned oats or 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup dried cherries
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup vanilla protein powder
- 2 tablespoons cherry jam
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat milk
- Put water, oats, salt and cherries into a medium sized saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for about 5 minutes for Old Fashioned Oats, or 1 minute for Quick Cooking Oats.
- Remove from heat. Stir in the vanilla extract, protein powder and cherry jam. Put into serving bowls and pour 2 tablespoons of milk over each bowl.
I did not have protein powder, so I had to omit that. I made one bowl of this with dried cherries and cherry preserves (the amount was plenty for me). In the other bowl I used almond extract instead of the vanilla, freeze dried strawberries instead of the cherries (added them after it was cooked), strawberry jam, and added sliced almonds on top. Both were great combinations! I liked the stirring in of the milk at the end. I did use the salt. I think it brings the flavors out a bit, but it certainly is not necessary. The possibilities are endless here with different combos of jams, dried or fresh fruit, and nuts!
Very good! I add protein powder to oatmeal all the time...it's a great way to avoid hunger for many hours. This was vanilla-flavored oatmeal with bites of dried cherry; the jam pretty much disappeared! I stirred a second tablespoon of jam into my bowl and that gave it more cherry flavor. (I did not use salt,vanilla extract or milk.)