Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
From foodnetwork.com Copyright Ellie Krieger, All rights reserved I like to use the old fashioned oats that take 30 minutes to cook. I usually make a lot and then separate it into servings and grab them for breakfasts throughout the week.
- 1 3⁄4 cups water
- 1 cup old fashioned oats or 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup dried cherries
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons cherry jam (to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup 1% low-fat milk, plus more to taste
- Put water, oats, salt and cherries into a medium sized saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for about 5 minutes for old fashioned oats, or 1 minute for quick cooking oats.
- Remove from heat. Stir in the vanilla extract and cherry jam.
- Put into serving bowls and pour 2 tablespoons of milk over each bowl.
What a great way to start ones morning. This oatmeal is so creamy, fruity and tasty. YUM!
I used canned cherries and cooked the oatmeal in part of their juice. That turned out very pink and nice. :)
THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this recipe with us, Chef!
Made and reviewed for Think Pink October 2012.
This was yummy! Now I have a new flavor to add to my morning oatmeal rotation. Scaled this back to one portion and made it in the microwave instead of on top of the stove. Made for Think Pink Tag October 2010.
I used chopped walnuts with this also. It's AWESOME!