1 hr 5 mins
In 'Scoop' by Ellen Brown; adapted from Bassetts Ice Cream, Philadelphia, PA
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine the cream, 1/2 cup milk, sugar, corn syrup, and salt in a saucepan.
- 2Split vanilla beans in half lengthwise and scrape the seeds into the cream mixture.
- 3Add the pods to the pan.
- 4Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the mixture begins to steam; watch it carefully and make sure it does not come to a boil.
- 5While the mixture heats, combine the remaining milk, milk powder, cornstarch, and vanilla extract in a small bowl, and stir until smooth and both of the powders are dissolved.
- 6Add the cornstarch mixture to the pan and bring to a boil over low heat, stirring constantly.
- 7Whisk the mixture until smooth, and simmer the mixture over very low heat, stirring constantly , for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 8Remove and discard the vanilla bean pods.
- 9If mixture is lumpy, strain it through a sieve.
- 10Transfer the hot liquid to a storage container and press a sheet of plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the mixture to prevent a skin from forming.
- 11Refrigerate the mixture uncovered until it is completely chilled (below 40°).
- 12Stir the chopped cherries into the chilled custard.
- 13Freeze the mixture in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- 14Serve immediately for a soft ice cream, or transfer the mixture to an airtight storage container and freeze until hard.
- 15Allow the ice cream to sit at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving if frozen solid.
Browse Our Top Frozen Desserts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Frozen Desserts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cherry Vanilla Ice Cream
Serving Size: 1 (1003 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2264.1
- Calories from Fat 1283
- Total Fat 142.5 g
- Saturated Fat 88.0 g
- Cholesterol 524.0 mg
- Sodium 660.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 234.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 165.0 g
- Protein 26.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: