Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a very rich ice cream made with a custard. Plan ahead as the custard should be refrigerated overnight.
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 2⁄3 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup maraschino cherry, stemless
- In a mixing bowl, beat the sugar into the eggs until it is pale yellow. Beat in the flour and salt and set aside.
- Bring the milk to a simmer in a heavy saucepan. Slowly beat hot milk into the eggs and sugar mixture. Pour the entire mixture back into the pan and place over low heat. Stir constantly with a wooden spoon until the custard thickens slightly. Do not let the mixture boil.
- Remove from heat. Strain the custard into a clean bowl. Cool slightly then refrigerate until cold or overnight.
- Stir the custard. Turn machine on and freeze according to your machine's instructions.
- Add the maraschino cherries when the ice cream is semi-frozen and allow the machine to mix the fruit inches.
- The ice cream will be soft and ready to eat. If you like firmer ice cream, transfer to a freezer container and freeze for at least 2 hours.
Simply fabulous! Added a splash of maraschino cherry syrup & some red food coloring - served with grated dark chocolate. We (4) ate it all. Unbelievably delish. Total keeper that froze up in under 10 minutes.