Recipe by Luby Luby Luby
I found this recipe on another site and want to try it sometime in the near future. DH is a big fan of anything that has cherries so I'm thinking he might like this. 2/25/07 Edited: I made this tonight and DH & I were both amazed. When I took it out of the oven there were no cherries on top. They all sink to the bottom and it's truly an upside down cake. I thought it might be real sweet but it isn't. It has a nice sweet/tart combination. We served it with vanilla ice cream and it is yummy.
- 517.37 g box white cake mix
- 3 eggs (or as called for by the cake mix directions)
- 118.29 ml oil (or as called for by the cake mix directions) or 118.29 ml butter (or as called for by the cake mix directions)
- 314.66 ml water (or as called for by the cake mix directions)
- 2 (822.13 g) can unsweetened tart red cherries, with juice
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 3.69 ml almond extract
- 4.92 ml red food coloring
- 29.58 ml cornstarch
- 29.58 ml butter, melted
- whipped cream (optional)
- vanilla ice cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour a 9x13 baking pan and set aside.
- Prepare cake mix according to directions on the box and pour into prepared 9x13 pan.
- Mix remaining ingredients until sugar and cornstarch are dissolved.
- Pour or gently spoon cherry mixture over batter.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes.
- Serve topped with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.