Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I found this recipe on another site and want to try it sometime in the near future. DH is a big fan of anything that has cherries so I'm thinking he might like this. 2/25/07 Edited: I made this tonight and DH & I were both amazed. When I took it out of the oven there were no cherries on top. They all sink to the bottom and it's truly an upside down cake. I thought it might be real sweet but it isn't. It has a nice sweet/tart combination. We served it with vanilla ice cream and it is yummy.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box white cake mix
- 3 eggs (or as called for by the cake mix directions)
- 1⁄2 cup oil (or as called for by the cake mix directions) or 1⁄2 cup butter (or as called for by the cake mix directions)
- 1 1⁄3 cups water (or as called for by the cake mix directions)
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans unsweetened tart red cherries, with juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon red food coloring
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- whipped cream (optional)
- vanilla ice cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour a 9x13 baking pan and set aside.
- Prepare cake mix according to directions on the box and pour into prepared 9x13 pan.
- Mix remaining ingredients until sugar and cornstarch are dissolved.
- Pour or gently spoon cherry mixture over batter.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes.
- Serve topped with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Very good and very easy to make!!
This was incredibly easy to make! The cherries I found were in a 28 oz jar in a light syrup (not cherry pie filling) For the cherry mixture, I didn't quite use all of the sugar and omitted the food coloring. While adding the cherry mix to the cake mix I thought there would be too much liquid and left out a good 1/3 of a cup...the next time I will put it all in. I also noticed that my cake (PC organics) cooked in just over 45 mins. so watch your cake! Yummy!
Very interesting recipe. I made this Saturday afternoon and was really surprised at the taste. As Luby said, the sweet/tart combination was really good. I served it with warm with a little cool whip on the side. DH and all 3 kids really liked it as did mom and dad. I did have more "juice" on the bottom that I thought, so I spooned it over the top of the cake before serving. Thanks LUBY....I picked this one for the bakeathon for ChefIAm and was NOT disappointed. GREAT FLAVOR AND VERY EASY TO MAKE.