Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
My husband just loves anything with cherries in it...on it or over it...so............reserve cherry juice once you drain for the cherry sauce on top!!!
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 14 ounces sour pie cherries, drained
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 cups cherry juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- red food coloring, if desired
- have ingredients at room temperature --
- butter a 12x8 pan.sprinkle brown sugar over bottom of pan -- add drained cherries.
- sift together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- add to oil and milk and vanillla -- beat for 1 1/2 minutes or batter is well blended.
- add egg, unbeaten, and beat for another 1 1/2 minutes.
- pour over cherries in pan --
- bake at 350* for 35-45 minutes --
- CHERRY SAUCE:.
- you will need to put reserved cherry juice, drained from cherries into a 2 cup measuring cup -- and add enough water to equal 1 1/2 cups juice -- ,
- pour into a medium saucepan -- add sugar, and cornstarch -- cook till thickened -- stirring constantly --
- remove from heat and add almond extract, butter and red food coloring, if desired --
- stir well to combine -- and butter melted.
- serve warm over warm cake --
- I can hear my husband sigh!
Hi there. This is a wonderful recipe. I made it just the other day and me and my family really enjoyed it. The cherry sauce gives it that extra cherry taste. It's great! Thanks!