Recipe by grandma2969
My husband just loves anything with cherries in it...on it or over it...so............reserve cherry juice once you drain for the cherry sauce on top!!!
Top Review by Terri Diana
Hi there. This is a wonderful recipe. I made it just the other day and me and my family really enjoyed it. The cherry sauce gives it that extra cherry taste. It's great! Thanks!
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 14 ounces sour pie cherries, drained
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 cups cherry juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- red food coloring, if desired
Directions See How It's Made
- have ingredients at room temperature --
- butter a 12x8 pan.sprinkle brown sugar over bottom of pan -- add drained cherries.
- sift together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- add to oil and milk and vanillla -- beat for 1 1/2 minutes or batter is well blended.
- add egg, unbeaten, and beat for another 1 1/2 minutes.
- pour over cherries in pan --
- bake at 350* for 35-45 minutes --
- CHERRY SAUCE:.
- you will need to put reserved cherry juice, drained from cherries into a 2 cup measuring cup -- and add enough water to equal 1 1/2 cups juice -- ,
- pour into a medium saucepan -- add sugar, and cornstarch -- cook till thickened -- stirring constantly --
- remove from heat and add almond extract, butter and red food coloring, if desired --
- stir well to combine -- and butter melted.
- serve warm over warm cake --
- I can hear my husband sigh!