Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
Cooking Light. Note chilling time.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 1⁄2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 3⁄4 cup low-fat sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons Amaretto (almond-flavored liqueur)
- 15 ladyfingers
- 1 (20 ounce) can light cherry pie filling
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a bowl; stir well with a whisk. Set aside.
- Heat milk over medium-high heat in a medium, heavy saucepan to 180° or until tiny bubbles form around edge (do not boil). Remove from heat.
- Gradually add hot milk to sugar mixture, stirring constantly with a whisk. Return milk mixture to pan, and cook over medium-low heat until thick (about 8 minutes), stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Place pan in a large ice-filled bowl for 25 minutes or until egg mixture comes to room temperature, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in sour cream and vanilla.
- Combine orange juice and amaretto.
- Split the ladyfingers in half lengthwise. Arrange 10 ladyfinger halves, flat sides up, in a single layer in the bottom of a 2-quart soufflé dish.
- Brush 2 tablespoons orange juice mixture over ladyfingers in the dish.
- Spread about 1 cup pie filling evenly over ladyfingers. Spread about 1 cup custard mixture over pie filling.
- Brush 10 ladyfinger halves with 2 tablespoons orange juice mixture, and line dish with ladyfinger halves standing upright.
- Arrange 10 ladyfinger halves over custard mixture, and brush with the remaining orange juice mixture.
- Spread remaining pie filling over ladyfingers. Spread remaining custard mixture over pie filling. Cover and chill for at least 8 hours.