Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is my husband's grandmother's recipe. If you love cherries, you should love this. Prep time does not include cooling and chilling time.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form.
- Add 2 cups sugar, nuts, vanilla and crushed cracker crumbs.; mix well.
- Pour into a greased 9x13 baking dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes.
- Let crust cool completely.
- Beat whipping cream until it thickens.
- Add sugar and, if using, vanilla.
- Beat well.
- Cover crust with whipped cream mixture.
- Add cherry pie filling on top of whipped cream mixture.
- Refrigerate 2-3 hours.
- Note: In place of the whipping cream, 4 T sugar and vanilla, I sometimes use 1 container (16 ounces) of Cool Whip.