This is my husband's grandmother's recipe. If you love cherries, you should love this. Prep time does not include cooling and chilling time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 egg whites
- 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups saltines or 2 cups Ritz crackers, crushed
- 1Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form.
- 2Add 2 cups sugar, nuts, vanilla and crushed cracker crumbs.; mix well.
- 3Pour into a greased 9x13 baking dish.
- 4Bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes.
- 5Let crust cool completely.
- 6Beat whipping cream until it thickens.
- 7Add sugar and, if using, vanilla.
- 8Beat well.
- 9Cover crust with whipped cream mixture.
- 10Add cherry pie filling on top of whipped cream mixture.
- 11Refrigerate 2-3 hours.
- 12Note: In place of the whipping cream, 4 T sugar and vanilla, I sometimes use 1 container (16 ounces) of Cool Whip.
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cherry Torte
Serving Size: 1 (172 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 503.1
- Calories from Fat 197
- Total Fat 21.9 g
- Saturated Fat 9.8 g
- Cholesterol 54.3 mg
- Sodium 141.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 38.0 g
- Protein 5.1 g