Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I thought I would share some of my favorites, These are some that I have to make quite often.
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3⁄4 cup boiling water
- 1⁄4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 (18 ounce) can cherry pie filling, for topping
- Cool Whip (optional)
- ice cream (optional)
- prehaet oven 325 F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the first six ingredients.
- Add the egg whites, milk, applesauce, extract and water; beat until well blended (batter will be thin).
- Pour into a sprayed 9-in. springform pan.
- Sprinkle with chips. Then place pan on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool 30 minutes.
- Then carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen; remove sides of pan. Cool completely.
- Once cake is cooled spread cherry pie filling on top. serve with cool whip or ice cream.
This is a really good cake, considering there is only a minimum of fat in it, in the form of chocolate chips used. There was a unique technic in making it, I thought. However, we felt it was a bit dry and not very sweet either.