Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Very attractive and delicious appetizer!! from Canadian Living mag.
- 2 1⁄2 cups cherry tomatoes, about 48
- 1 large avocado
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 green onions, finely chopped or 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 5 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled or red caviar or black caviar (optional)
- Using a sharp knife,cut each tomato in half croswise.
- Scoop out seeds, place cut sides down on paper towels.
- Let drain for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel and pit avacado.
- Place in small bowl and mash with a fork.
- Stir in lemon juice, onion, garlic and salt, mix well.
- Gently spoon filling into tomato halves.
- Place on serving plate and cover loosely withplastic wrap, refrigerate for up to 3 hours.
- Just before serving, sprinkle with bacon.
- For a special presentation, instead of bacon, sprinkle them with red or black caviar.
These were a major hit at a birthday potluck at work. I used freshly squeezed lime juice instead of lemon. Very aesthetically appealing as well as tasty.
These are delicious! Nice tangy creamy avocado flavor plays really well off the tomatos. Another plus is that they look beautiful set out on a plate - so colorful. I didn't change anything - made them just as posted. Only thing I'll probably do different next time is make more!!
Very tasty and unique (I used red lumpfish caviar), although a lot of work. We had an assembly line of three so it wasn't so bad. Thank you.