1/3 Photos of Cherry Tomato Soup (Gary Rhodes)
Another fantastic Gary Rhodes recipe. Light and delicious! Perfect for a starter course but fantastic for a summer lunch as well. I have made this several times when cherry tomato season comes around. I have also frozen this with great results. NOTE: A basic passata is a sauce made of tomatoes, basil, water, preservative, however some types have more herbs and spices in them, so make sure you like what is in your passata as it will be a main flavour in your soup. You can substitute tomato sauce (not ketchup!) or canned tomatoes (put through the food processor). Sometimes I don’t have passata on hand so I put a can of chopped tomatoes in the food processor (enough to equal the recipe equivalent) and add a bit of basil to it to taste. I don't add water because the canned tomatoes are already in liquid. I hope you enjoy this soup as much as I do.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat up the olive oil in a frying pan.
- 2Add the red onions to the pan over medium heat until the start to colour and become softened; about 3-4 minutes.
- 3When the onions begin to soften add the garlic and slowly cook both together until softened about a minute or so. (The garlic is added second to prevent it from burning and tasting bitter.).
- 4Add the red wine vinegar to the pan and bring to a boil. Cook until only a bit of liquid is left. (Be careful not to reduce too much or it will give your soup a soury taste.).
- 5Add the cherry tomato halves to the pan and fry for 10 minutes, making sure to stir occasionally so they don't burn.
- 6Stir in the passata (see note in description of recipe above) and vegetable stock to the tomato mixture, bring to a low boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes more.
- 7Taste the broth then sprinkle sea salt and pepper over soup to your taste.
- 8Serving: you can serve with torn fresh basil leaves over top.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cherry Tomato Soup (Gary Rhodes)
Serving Size: 1 (173 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 134.5
- Calories from Fat 64
- Total Fat 7.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 313.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 9.0 g
- Protein 2.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: