Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is so simple to make. It's worth it to allow some time for this to sit in the fridge - the olives will infuse the tomatoes with a wondeful salty tang.
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes (try an heirloom mix)
- 1⁄2 cup pitted kalamata olive
- herb-flavored vinegar
- extra virgin olive oil
- Rinse the tomatoes well with cold water. I normally cut them in half, and also cut off any stems or blemishes, then add them to a bowl. Roughly chop the olives and add to the tomatoes.
- Squish the mixture with your fingers so the tomatoes give off some juice and everything is nicely mixed.
- Drizzle in a very little bit of the vinegar and olive oil.
- Stash this in the fridge for a while if you have time, then top with some shredded basil just before eating.
- Another great way to serve this is to toast some slices of cheese bread (try my recipe #138924), rub both sides with a cut garlic clove, then mound the tomato mixture on top. Lay very thin slices of the fresh mozarella on top, and broil for a minute or two. Garnish with shredded basil and freshly ground black pepper.