Recipe by invictus
From Tom's Big Dinners and more specifically a meal that he made and enjoyed with Dale Chihuly. This recipe requires using the oven at a low heat and roasting the tomatoes for 3 hours (included in cook time) and for best flavor should be refrigerated overnight (not included in cook time).
- 1 1⁄2 lbs cherry tomatoes, stems removed (3 half pint baskets)
- 1 cup olive oil
- 9 inches fresh rosemary sprigs, cut into 9 pieces
- 6 fresh thyme sprigs
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 225 degrees.
- Put the tomatoes in a baking pan large enough to hold them in a single layer. Pour the oil over the tomatoes, add the herb sprigs, garlic, and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Roast uncovered until the tomatoes are swollenand the skins wrinkled, about three hours.
- Remove the tomatoes from oven and allow to cool, then pour into a small bowl. For best flavor cover and refrigerate overnight, bringing the confit back to room temperature.
- When you are ready to serve, pour the tomatoes into a strainer set over a bow, reserving both the tomatoes and the oil. Place the drained tomatoes in a small bowl, discarding the herb sprigs and garlic cloves. Add the vinegar, chopped time, and 1 tablespoon of the reserved oil. Mix gently being careful not to break the tomatoes. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper.