1 hr 30 mins
Out of the oven, this soup looked absolutely delicious... it tasted even better than it looked. * If you shy away from garlic this soup is NOT for you. (This recipe was adapted from Amy Goldman's "The Heirloom Tomato," Bloomsbury, 2008. )
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces sourdough bread, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices (10 to 12 slices)
- olive oil
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced garlic clove, plus 1 whole clove
- 4 cups thinly sliced yellow onions
- 2 1/2 quarts chicken stock
- salt & fresh ground pepper (to taste)
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes or 2 pints grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 lb parmesan cheese, grated
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil, plus thinly sliced fresh basil for garnish
- chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (for garnish)
- 1Heat the oven to 350°F.
- 2Brush the slices of bread with olive oil on both sides, then arrange the slices on a baking sheet that has a rim. Toast in the oven, flipping the slices halfway through, until golden brown on both sides, 15 to 20 minutes. Maintain the oven temperature.
- 3Cut the 1 whole clove of garlic in half. Rub the cut sides of the garlic halves over the toasted bread slices. Set the bread aside.
- 4In a large skillet over medium, heat 1/4 cup olive oil. Add the onions and saute until slightly caramelized, about 15 minutes. Add the 1/2 cup of sliced garlic and saute until tender, about 3 minutes. Set aside.
- 5Season the chicken stock with salt and pepper.
- 6Lightly coat a 2 1/2-quart baking dish with olive oil.( I used a large lasagna baking dish since I worried it might bubble over) Layer half of the bread slices over the bottom of the baking dish. Spoon half of the onion mixture over the bread, then top with half of the tomatoes, a third of the grated Parmesan cheese and the chopped basil.
- 7Layer the remaining toast over the onions and tomatoes, then top with the remaining onions and tomatoes. Sprinkle half of the remaining cheese over the dish.
- 8Add 3 cups of the stock and wait 5 minutes for the bread to absorb it. Add another cup of stock and wait another few minutes.
- 9Continue adding stock (up to 6 cups total) until the liquid comes to within 1/4 inch of the top of the dish. Reserve remaining stock.
- 10Sprinkle the remaining Parmesan over the ingredients, then cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- 11Remove the foil, increase heat to 400°F and bake until the top is golden brown. Remove from the oven and cool slightly. Once cooled, cut into 8 servings and arrange each in a shallow serving bowl.
- 12Heat the reserved chicken stock, then ladle some around (not over) each serving. Garnish with basil and parsley.
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cherry Tomato and Garlic Bread Soup
Serving Size: 1 (509 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 307.5
- Calories from Fat 79
- Total Fat 8.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.6 g
- Cholesterol 21.4 mg
- Sodium 825.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 10.4 g
- Protein 17.5 g