Prep 45 mins
Cook 15 mins
I know the last thing most of you want to do after you get home from work is make your own pizza dough but this recipe is easier than some casseroles to put together and the result is a golden and light filled pizza that looks and tastes wonderful. If you're not crazy over feta cheese, you can substitute mozzarella.
- 225 g all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 7 g fast-rising active dry yeast
- 150 ml water
- 25 ml olive oil
For the filling
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 4 -6 mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 10 black olives, pitted and chopped
- 200 g cherry tomatoes (about 15)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried basil or 10 fresh basil leaves
- 100 g feta cheese (about 3/4 cup crumbled)
- 4 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 large egg, beaten with a splash of milk
- 6 tablespoons tomato sauce
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl.
- Stir in the salt and yeast, then the warm water and olive oil.
- Mix as best you can, either with your hands or with a dough hook attachment on your mixer, eventually forming into a ball.
- Dust a work surface with flour and knead the dough for several minutes, until smooth and springy.
- Cover and leave in a warm place for 30 minutes, while you prepare the filling.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and soften the onions, garlic and mushrooms.
- Add the whole tomatoes, oregano, dried basil (if using) and chopped olives to the pan and cook for about five minutes, stirring often, until the tomatoes are soft but whole.
- Remove from the heat.
- Take out the risen dough and break into four pieces.
- Roll out one section of the dough on a floured surface until you have a circle about 20cm across.
- It will be quite thin.
- Lay on an oiled baking sheet and brush a 2cm border with egg.
- Smear the rest of the dough with a spoonful of tomato sauce.
- Pile a quarter of the filling on one half, plus a bit of both cheeses, fresh basil (if using) and a grinding of pepper.
- Fold over the unfilled half, press the edges and seal with a fork.
- Brush the egg mixture over the top.
- Repeat with the remaining pieces and then bake for 15 minutes at 400F, until puffed and golden.
I love this recipe. It was a hit with all the picky eaters in my family. And they freeze beautifully. For those people who need the conversion, by the prep time by the title, there is a link that says "Change Servings" when you click it, there will be the option to change it to US from Metric.
Great meal for meatless Mon. Easy to do and loved all the veggies and the feta.
Delicious! I did make a couple of changes to the filling (white onion, no mushrooms, normal tomatoes) but I'm sure it would have tasted good the way its meant to be. I love the melted feta and parmesan in it.Thanks!