1 hr 20 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Sandra Hyde's Note:
This is an open cherry pie with a Pavlova-like topping. Very easy to make. I picked the recipe up in England when I was there, and have been 'wowing' my friends with it ever since.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces plain flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 teaspoons icing sugar
- 1 ounce cornflour
- 4 ounces lard
- 2 ounces margarine, mixed with the lard
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1Set oven to 400F or gas Mark 6.
- 2Make the pastry- Sift the flour, salt, cornflour and icing sugar into a bowl.
- 3Rub in the mixed lard/margarine and bind into a dough with the egg yolk and water.
- 4Knead the pastry lightly and roll out.
- 5Grease a 9 inch pie dish and line with the rolled out pastry.
- 6Bake blind for 15 minutes.
- 7Reduce oven temperature to 325F or gas Mark 3.
- 8Remove pie shell from oven.
- 9Arrange cherries in the pastry case.
- 10Mix the sugar, eggs and almonds together with the almond essence.
- 11Pour the mixture over the cherries.
- 12Bake for 50- 60 minutes until firm and golden.
- 13Serve hot or cold with cream and/or ice cream.
- 14NB Baking blind is to place s piece of baking paper in the shell, then fill the shell with split peas (or other appropriate filling).
- 15The peas and paper are removed when the shell is cooked.
- 16This causes an even heat to be distributed and at the same time prevents the bottom and the sides of the shell from expanding too much and appearing'lumpy'.
- 17It also helps give the shell a pale colour so that when it is baked later with a filling it does not go black.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cherry Tart
Serving Size: 1 (159 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 656.7
- Calories from Fat 343
- Total Fat 38.1 g
- Saturated Fat 11.0 g
- Cholesterol 109.1 mg
- Sodium 141.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 70.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 32.1 g
- Protein 10.7 g