This comes from The Book Lovers Cookbook. It is easy and attractive and tastes great. This recipe makes two tarts.
- To make pastry:.
- Combine the flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl.
- Add the butter and mix together with a fork or fingers till the texture is crumbly.
- In a separate bowl, mix the egg yolks with the lemon juice.
- Stir the yolk mixture and water into crumbly flour.
- Use your hands to form the dough into a ball.
- Press the dough into the bottom only of two 9-inch pie pans or two 9-inch springform pans to about a 3/8 inch thickness.
- Refrigerate the crusts for about 15 minutes.
- For the topping:.
- In a medium bowl, combine all the ingredients except cherries and mix well.
- Fold in cherries.
- Spread mixture to about 1/2 inch thickness on top of chilled crust, leaving a 1/4 inch margin uncovered at edge.
- Bake at 425 for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 and bake for about another 40-45 minutes.
- Cool and slice as desired for serving.
Very nice! I found the crust to be tasty (and use 1/4 cup egg substitute instead of the yolk) but would not use all the dough next time (crust was a little thick). I used half pitted cherries that I had frozen - I think I would increase to 3 cups (love those cherries) or maybe use a blend of cherries and blueberries. An easy & delicious tart, I will make this again.