Recipe by pattikay in L.A.
This comes from The Book Lovers Cookbook. It is easy and attractive and tastes great. This recipe makes two tarts.
Top Review by MA HIKER
Very nice! I found the crust to be tasty (and use 1/4 cup egg substitute instead of the yolk) but would not use all the dough next time (crust was a little thick). I used half pitted cherries that I had frozen - I think I would increase to 3 cups (love those cherries) or maybe use a blend of cherries and blueberries. An easy & delicious tart, I will make this again.
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons water
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons orange juice
- 2 cups tart cherries, pitted and sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- To make pastry:.
- Combine the flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl.
- Add the butter and mix together with a fork or fingers till the texture is crumbly.
- In a separate bowl, mix the egg yolks with the lemon juice.
- Stir the yolk mixture and water into crumbly flour.
- Use your hands to form the dough into a ball.
- Press the dough into the bottom only of two 9-inch pie pans or two 9-inch springform pans to about a 3/8 inch thickness.
- Refrigerate the crusts for about 15 minutes.
- For the topping:.
- In a medium bowl, combine all the ingredients except cherries and mix well.
- Fold in cherries.
- Spread mixture to about 1/2 inch thickness on top of chilled crust, leaving a 1/4 inch margin uncovered at edge.
- Bake at 425 for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 and bake for about another 40-45 minutes.
- Cool and slice as desired for serving.