Recipe by stormylee
A lovely simple cake for cherry lovers, perfect with that cup of coffee! The recipe has been edited as a result of Shar-on's review; she's absolutely right, the pan originally called for was too small. The correct size is 24-25 cm, as stated now.
Top Review by Shar-on
I made this coffee cake just yesterday.It was easy to put together. I baked it in my 8-9" round cake pan and it was too full. Next time I would try my bundt pan or my spring form pan with the centre insert. I had quiet a mess as it ran over the pan and the cake actually started to flop in the centre. (I should of known better than to fill it to the top.) I think baking it for 50 - 60 minutes was too long, it could use maybe 45 minutes, at least in my oven. It tasted really good and even with a little flop it is presentable to my guests. I will try this recipe again in different(just a little larger) pans and watch my baking time. Thanks for the recipe.
- 200 g butter
- 200 ml sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 350 ml all-purpose flour
Cherry swirl filling
- 50 ml brown sugar
- 50 ml chopped almonds
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 150 ml chopped red cherries (I use candied cherries)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 175 C.
- Grease and flour a 24-25 cm round cake tin.
- Start with the filling: stir all the filling ingredients togehter in a small bowl.
- For the cake batter: Cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add vanilla, stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour and baking powder.
- Add the flour mixture into the butter& egg mixture, stir to combine.
- Pour half of the cake batter into the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle on the filling.
- Top with the rest of the batter.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 50-60 minutes, or until the cake tests done.