Prep 2 hrs 40 mins
Cook 30 mins
Makes two. Great coffee cake to serve for brunch or anytime you want a little something with your coffee.
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup Butter Flavor Crisco, sticks or 1⁄2 cup crisco butter flavor shortening
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 3 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup cherry preserves, divided
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄3 cup sliced almonds
- Heat milk, shortening, granulated sugar and salt in small saucepan over medium-high heat just to boiling; cool to lukewarm (105 to 115 degrees).
- Stir in yeast; transfer mixture to medium bowl.
- Add 1 cup flour to milk mixture; beat well.
- Add eggs and vanilla extract; beat well. Stir in enough remaining flour to make a thick batter; beat until smooth.
- Let rise, covered, in a warm place free of drafts, until doubled in bulk; about 1 hour.
- Stir batter down. Divide batter between two greased 9-inch round cake pans; let rise in warm place until doubled in bulk, about one hour.
- Make a swirl design on top of batter with a floured spoon; fill grooves with preserves, using 1/4 cup for each coffee cake.
- Heat oven to 375. Bake coffee cakes until golden, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Remove from pans, cool on wire racks.
- Again, fill grooves of each cake with 1/4 cup of remaining preserves. Mix powdered sugar with enough milk to make thin glaze, drizzle over warm coffee cake.
- Sprinkle with almonds.
- Cut each cake into 8 wedges to serve.