Recipe by Marg (CaymanDesigns)
This is one of my family's favorite coffeecakes. The original recipe called for 3/4 cup evaporate milk with 1 Tbls. lemon juice in it and it was very good. However, using the sour cream and milk makes it even better. It is so moist and tender and delicious you will have to eat seconds! Works well for company or to give as a gift too. I always prepare it on Saturday night for Sunday morning. Just cover lightly with a towel.
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream (approx.)
- 1⁄4 cup milk (approx.)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling
- 1⁄3 cup sliced almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine flour and sugar in a large bowl.
- Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.
- Set aside 1/2 cup of the mixture.
- Add baking powder and baking soda to the remaining flour mixture.
- Put approximately 1/2 cup of sour cream (I use Breakstone Fat Free) in a 'liquid' measuring cup.
- Add enough milk to make 3/4 cup.
- Blend together well and add to dry ingredients along with beaten egg and extract; stir just until moistened.
- Spread 2/3 of the batter over bottom and about 1 inch up the side of a greased 9-inch springform pan to form a shell.
- Spread pie filling in shell.
- Drop small spoonfuls of remaining batter over pie filling.
- Stir almonds into reserved crumb mixture.
- Sprinkle evenly over cake.
- Bake in 350°F oven for 50 to 55 minutes.