Recipe by Gerry
A great coffee cake that tastes as good as it looks. This cake has been a real crowd pleaser at our Sunday morning coffee hour. There are no leftovers when serving this one. I got this recipe from a friend who not only has great recipes but shares them!
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- 3⁄4 cup butter or 3⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk or 3⁄4 cup sour milk
- 1 (19 ounce) can cherry pie filling
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl make crumb mix: 2 1/4 cups flour 3/4 cup white sugar; Whisk together to mix.
- Cut in: 3/4 cup butter or margarine. Mix until crumbly.
- REMOVE 1/2 cup of crumb mix and set aside to sprinkle on top.
- To remainder of crumb mix add: 1/2 teaspoon baking powder 1/2 teaspoon baking soda Combine: 1 beaten egg and 3/4 cup buttermilk or sour milk.
- Add to dry crumb mix and stir until just moistened.
- Spread 2/3 of batter over bottom and part way up the side of a greased 9 inch spring form pan or a well greased bundt pan. I favor the spring form pan when serving this as dessert.
- Spoon Cherry pie filler over batter.
- Drop spoonfuls of remaining batter over filling.
- (I found 1 cup of batter for the third is about right) Sprinkle with the 1/2 cup of reserved crumb mix.
- Bake 350 for 50-55 minutes.