Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
A moist, tender coffee cake.
- 1 (10 ounce) jar maraschino cherries
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup ground walnuts
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (16 ounce) carton sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 eggs
- Drain cherries, set aside.
- Mix together brown sugar, nuts, and cinnamon; set aside.
- Sift together flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda; set aside.
- Cream butter, sugar, and almond extract thoroughly; Add sour cream, Beat until well blended.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, alternating with the eggs, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Beat well, scraping bowl often.
- Grease and flour a bundt pan; pour 1/3 of the batter in the pan. Top with 1/3 of the cherries and 1/3 of the nut mixture.
- Repeat layers a second and third time.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until cake tests done.
This was so good. I made it to share with co-workers and we all loved it. Thanks for sharing!
A very good coffee cake, moist and delicious. I used my stand mixer to mix the batter and beat in two eggs at a time alternating with the flour. It is a thicker batter to work with but not so heavy it will not pour well into the bundt pan. Smells so good while baking and tastes terrific!
I really thought this cake would be spectacular...but it was just good. It did have a coffeecake flavor. The almond extract was the only thing that stood out. It was very pretty when cut. It overflowed my bundt pan in the middle which caused the cake around it to be undercooked so I had to remove the overflowed batter and cook the cake an extra 15 minutes. For the amount and cost of ingredients, the extra work involved in making it and the final result I just can't give it a higher rating. Sorry. Made for Holiday Tag.