Recipe by CountryLady
This is my favourite bar-type cookie from Company's Coming! After you've tried it, you'll understand why.
Top Review by Dotty2
I made this square many times ,many years ago and had lost the recipe. Besides being such a fabulous square it brings back many memories. I am so happy to have this recipe among my favorites once again. I added red and green candied cherries. Turned out perfect. Thanks CountryLady.
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup medium grind coconut
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup candied cherries or 1⁄2 cup maraschino cherry (at least)
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon water
Directions See How It's Made
- FIRST LAYER: Crumble ingredients together well.
- Press into ungreased 9 x 9 inch pan.
- Bake in preheated 350F oven for 15 minutes.
- SECOND LAYER: Beat eggs slightly; add remaining ingredients in the order listed.
- If using maraschino cherries, drain well.
- I prefer using candied cherries- at Christmas, I use a mixture of red& green.
- Spread over first layer& return to oven for 25 minutes.
- Let cool completely.
- TOP LAYER: Beat ingredients in a small bowl, adding more water if necessary to make a more spreadable mixture.
- This makes a minimum amount of icing to spread over top.