Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is my favourite bar-type cookie from Company's Coming! After you've tried it, you'll understand why.
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup medium grind coconut
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup candied cherries or 1⁄2 cup maraschino cherry (at least)
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon water
- FIRST LAYER: Crumble ingredients together well.
- Press into ungreased 9 x 9 inch pan.
- Bake in preheated 350F oven for 15 minutes.
- SECOND LAYER: Beat eggs slightly; add remaining ingredients in the order listed.
- If using maraschino cherries, drain well.
- I prefer using candied cherries- at Christmas, I use a mixture of red& green.
- Spread over first layer& return to oven for 25 minutes.
- Let cool completely.
- TOP LAYER: Beat ingredients in a small bowl, adding more water if necessary to make a more spreadable mixture.
- This makes a minimum amount of icing to spread over top.
I made this square many times ,many years ago and had lost the recipe. Besides being such a fabulous square it brings back many memories. I am so happy to have this recipe among my favorites once again. I added red and green candied cherries. Turned out perfect. Thanks CountryLady.
Country Lady these cherry squares are so delicious! I used maraschino cherries in mine. I also doubled the top layer recipe and replaced the water with the maraschino cherry juice so that the top layer was light pink. These looked very pretty on my cookie platter that I had arranged for our Christmas dinner. Thanks!
Oh boy, were these ever great! I didn't have candied cherries, so I use marachinos and they turned out wonderfully. The icing recipe was just the perfect amount too. Thanks for posting a great addtion to my Christmas baking tray!