Recipe by CookingMonster
Company's coming Cookbook. I made 2 of these, one with red maraschino squares and one with green cherries. They are very pretty and festive. I did not ice them, as I found these were sweet enough. They cut up nicely and froze. I also used a 11x7 inch pan for one of them and it turned out good.
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup firm margarine
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup medium shredded coconut
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup red maraschino cherries or 1⁄2 cup candied cherry, cut up
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons firm margarine, softened
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon water or 1 tablespoon milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Bottom Layer:
- Crumble all 3 ingredients together well.
- Press in an ungreased 9x9 inch pan.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 15 minutes.
- Second Layer:
- Beat eggs slightly and mix in the rest of the ingredients in order given.
- Spread over first layer.
- Return to oven and bake for 25 minutes until brown.
- Beat all 4 ingredients together in small bowl, adding more water or icing sugar if needed to make a more spreadable mixture.
- Spread over cooled squares.
- This makes a minimum amount of icing.
- Cut into 36 squares.