Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
An interesting twist to boring cookies! Taken from a Mom and Me Cookbook.
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- red food coloring
- 1⁄2 maraschino cherry, chopped
- Beat butter and sugar together in a bowl.
- Add yolk and vanilla and beat mixture until smooth.
- Add flour and salt and mix to form a smooth dough.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat to 350°F.
- Color 1/2 of the dough with red food coloring.
- Add cheeries to pink dough.
- Wrap and chill for another 10 minutes.
- Roll dough out to 1/4in thickness.
- Place pink dough on top of plain dough.
- Trim edges and roll into a log starting from a long side.
- Slice log into 1/4in slices.
- Arrange on cookie sheet.
- Bake 15 minutes.
These are very tasty and pretty too. Unfortunately my rolling went a little awry so the there's less swirl and more splodge ;-). I halved the recipe but still used a whole egg yolk. The mixture seemed really dry so I added the white as well which sorted out the consistency. Thanks!
Made these for a Easter Tea party I had with my two granddaughters. The pink swirl made a pretty butter cookie. They went very nice with our tea. Thanks Sam#3. Bullwinkle.