Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Posted for ZWT6 Scandinavia leg of tour. From the good people at Moosewood Restaurant. Serve as a first course with heavy rye bread and Blue Cheese Balls (Juustotahna) or as a dessert, with slightly sweetened whipped cream.
- 4 cups fresh ripe cherries (about 2 1/2 pounds) or 4 cups unsweetened frozen cherries
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 cups water
- 2 lemons, juice of (or to taste)
- 3 tablespoons sugar (or to taste) or 3 tablespoons honey (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup cherry heering liqueur (or to taste) or 1⁄2 cup white wine (or to taste)
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped or 1 cup sour cream or 1 cup plain yogurt
- If using fresh cherries, remove stem and pit.
- Bring to a boil, in a large nonreactive pot, the cherries, cinnamon and water. Cook at a low boil, until cherries have lost their color, 15-20 minutes. If you are using frozen cherries, reduce water to 3 3/4 cups and cook for only 10 minutes.
- Remove cinnamon stick and discard.
- Drain cherries, reserving the liquid. Reserve liquid and set aside half the cherries.
- Puree remaining cherries and reserved liquid in batches with blender, food processor or stick blender. Return to pot.
- Add lemon juice, sugar or honey, and the cherry liqueur or wine. Reheat and add remaining cherries.
- Serve hot or chilled, topped with a dollop of whipped cream, sour cream or yogurt.