Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 1 3⁄4 lbs black cherries (can be preserved)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 6 slices bread
- 2 teaspoons kirsch (cherry brandy)
- Clean and drain the cherries. Remove the stems.
- Place cherries in a sauce pan with sugar and kirsch. Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook for 15 minutes.
- Melt 1 1/2 tablespoon of butter in a skillet. Add bread slices and sauté until browned on both sides. Drain with paper towel. Add more butter if needed to brown all the slices.
- In a bowl, blend 1 tablespoon of corn starch and 1 tablespoon of water.
- Using a spoon, remove the cherries from the pan. Add to the pan the corn starch mixture. Stir well over low heat for a few minutes.
- Return the cherries to the pan for a few seconds.
- Put a bread slice in a bowl. Pour the soup over the bread.