Prep 45 mins
Cook 35 mins
The Perfect Scoop
- 2 lbs cherries (Bing or Burlat)
- 1 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon almond extract (or 1 t. kirsch)
- Stem cherries and remove the pits (cover up for this).
- In a medium saucepan, warm the cherries over medium heat with the water, sugar, and lemon juice until they start becoming juicy.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the cherries are very soft and cooked through.
- Remove from heat and let stand until they reach room temperature.
- Puree the cherries and their liquid with the almond extract or kirsch in a blender until smooth.
- Chill the mixture thoroughly, then freeze it in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s directions.
I tried this yesterday and when I tasted it then it was a little too sweet. But, today it was so much
better! I still might cut back on the sugar next time cause I really like the flavor of the cherries to come through. Still a great recipe!