A great make ahead slush. Try garnishing individual glasses with orange slices and maraschino cherries. Recipe from Door County Wisconsin.
- 2 cups cherry juice (try a blend cherry& raspberry, cherry& cranberry, etc..)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups frozen unsweetened tart red cherries or 1 (16 ounce) can unsweetened tart red cherries, drained
- 1 (6 ounce) can frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed, undiluted
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 (2 liter) bottle carbonated lemon-lime beverage, chilled
- Combine cherry juice blend and sugar in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until sugar dissolves and mixture boils. Reduce heat; simmer 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In blender or food processor container, combine cherries, orange juice concentrate and lemon juice. Blend 1 minute, or until cherries are pureed. In a 6-cup freezer container, combine cherry mixture and sugar mixture; mix well. Cover tightly; freeze 5 hours or overnight.
- Remove cherry mixture from freezer 30 minutes before serving. Put 1/4 cup slush in each glass; add 1/2 cup carbonated beverage to each glass. Serve immediately. Freeze remaining slush for later use.
- A shot of your favorite alcohol may be added to individual glasses when adding the lemon-lime soda if desired.