- Cream butter thoroughly.
- Add sugar and beat well.
- Add eggs, one at a time, and vanilla.
- Sift flour with baking powder and salt.
- Add sifted dry ingredients gradually, beating well.
- Spread on a large 11x17 inch greased pan, saving a little more than a cup of batter on the side.
- Add almond extract to cherry pie filling, then spread filling to within half an inch from edge of pan.
- Place remaining dough by spoonfuls over filling.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes.
- When cool, sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Cut into slices or squares before serving.
How wonderful this is! It smelled great baking and I could hardly wait for dessert. DH and I both enjoyed it. I used a 20 oz can of pie filling and we thought it could use an extra 1/2-1 can of filling. Largest dish I had was a 9x13-inch, which did work but this would work better in the larger dish. (Now, I'll have to go shopping.) Thanks for an easy, tasty dessert.