Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
The basis of this recipe was found in the Famous Name Brand Recipes cookbook 'WHOLE-GRAIN COOKING,' & was changed to use pulled pork -- the original called for 12 ounces of lean pork loin or skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2"x1/2"x1/4" strips & then sauted.
- 3 cups fresh sweet cherries, pitted, divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons anaheim chilies, finely chopped (very much OPTIONAL!) (optional)
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups lean pork, cooked, shredded
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups brown rice, cooked
- 8 (8 -9 inch) flour tortillas (each about 8-9-inch in diameter)
- 2 cups romaine lettuce, finely shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Chop 2 cups cherries by hand or in food processor.
- In large bowl, combine cherries, basil, [VERY OPTIONAL Anaheim pepper ~ I DON'T use it!], 1 teaspoon ginger & salt. Set aside.
- In medium bowl, combine pork, remaining 1 cup pitted cherries, remaining 1 teaspoon ginger, garlic powder & black pepper.
- Fold pork mixture into cooked rice. Set aside.
- Wrap tortillas tightly in heavy foil.
- Heat wrapped tortillas in oven 10-15 minutes.
- Remove tortillas, spread them out, & onto each one put 3/4 cup pork/rice mixture, 1/3 cup chopped cherry mixture & 1/4 cup shredded lettuce.
- Make a small fold on what will be the bottom edge, then roll each tortilla into a bundle & serve.
Very unique twist on this with the use of the cherries. Halved this making 4 wraps, left out the chilies, and the salt. Everyone was apprehensive at first with the cherries, but when mouth are chewing, and voices are quiet, it made for a great result. Made for a quick light dinner tonight as we enjoyed this unique recipe. Made for PRMR tag.
Made these for dinner tonight with pork I had prepared for egg rolls earlier today. I used whole wheat tortillas that were about 10 inches since thats what I had on hand, also left out the chillies since my mother is afriad of spicy food. These wraps had a very interesting taste because of the cherries, very diffrent but non the less good for a fast and easy meal on a busy night.