Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Posted in reply to a request.
- 5 -6 lbs leg of lamb
- 2 -3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 cup cherry jam
- 1 cup hot strong coffee
- 2 tablespoons port wine
- 2 tablespoons fat, from pan drippings
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Cut 2 or 3 small slits in lamb, insert a garlic clove in each slit.
- Combine ginger and mustard.
- Rub lamb with the ginger/mustard mixture.
- Place meat (fat side up) on a rack in a shallow roasting pan.
- Roast meat in a slow (325°F) oven for about 3-3 1/2 hours, or until meat thermometer registers 170- 180°F.
- Dissolve jam in coffee, stir in port wine.
- After meat has roasted for 1 hour, pour the sauce over the lamb.
- Baste lamb occasionally during roasting.
- When done, remove lamb from pan to a warm platter.
- Pour meat juices from pan into a large measuring cup.
- Skim the fat from the juices, reserving 2 Tablespoons of fat.
- Put the 2 Tablespoons of fat back in the roasting pan.
- Stir the flour into the fat until smooth.
- Cook and stir the flour mixture until bubbly.
- Add enough water to the reserved meat juices to make 1 1/2 cups of liquid.
- Add the liquid to the flour mixture all at once, cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve the sauce with the lamb.