Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Comes from the lemon cookbook, and makes about 2 cups.
- 2 cups fresh pitted dark sweet cherries
- 1⁄2 cup water, plus
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 3 -6 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 2 -3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Cook cherries in 1/2 cup of water in a medium saucepan over medium heat, till cherries are soft. Shoiuld take about 10 minutes.
- Cool the mixture slightly and puree in a food processor, and put through a fine strainer, back into the saucepan.
- Whisk together the remaining 1 tablespoon of water and cornstarch in a small bowl. Bring the cherry puree to a boil, whisk in the cornstarch mixture, and boil whisking constantly, until sauce thickens. Whisk in the the light corn syrup and the lemon juice to taste. Serve warm or cold. Cool before putting in the fridge.
- Reheat gently.