Prep 24 hrs
Cook 8 mins
- 1 cup softened butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup maraschino cherry, finely chopped, well drained
- 1⁄2 cup chopped raisins
- 1 teaspoon rum flavoring
- Line 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan with waxed paper.
- Cream together butter and sugar until light fluffy.
- Add vanilla and egg and beat until smooth.
- Sift and add flour, baking powder and salt, mixing until well blended.
- Remove 1/3 of dough and stir in cherries; set aside.
- Stir rum flavoring and rasins into remaning dough.
- Divide dough in half and spread half on bottom of ungreased prepared pan.
- Cover with cherry layer and top with remaining dough.
- Cover with waxed paper or plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove dough from pan and cut into thirds lengthwise.
- Cut into 1/4-inch thick slices and place on ungreased cookie sheet 1-inch apart.
- Bake at 350° for 4-6 minutes or until edges are light golden brown.
- Carefully remove from cookie sheet and cool on rack.