Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Cherries....mmm. A sweet treat from the Mississippi Valley chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 2 cups flour, sifted
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups cherries, pitted
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- Preheat oven to 425°F and grease a baking sheet.
- Sift flour, baking powder, 2 tablespoons sugar and salt together.
- Cut in shortening, add milk and mix lightly.
- Turn out onto a floured board, knead slightly and roll out into an oblong sheet about 1/4 inch thick.
- Spread dough with melted butter.
- Make a syrup by boiling 1/2 cup sugar and 1 cup water for ten minutes.
- Drain cherries; add 1 cup of the sugar and mix well.
- Spread on the dough, roll like a jelly roll and cut into 3/4 inch slices.
- Place cut side down on prepared pan and cover with syrup.
- Bake for ten minutes; reduce heat to 350°F and continue baking for 10 minutes.
- Serve with whipped cream or cherry sauce.