Prep 55 mins
Cook 0 mins
From Cooking Light. Posting for safe keeping sake.
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour (about 2 1/4 ounces)
- 1⁄2 cup oats
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- cooking spray
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (about 9 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup nonfat sour cream
- 2 cups pitted fresh cherries, coarsely chopped (about 10 ounces)
- To prepare streusel: Lightly spoon whole wheat flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife.
- Combine whole wheat flour and next 4 ingredients.
- Add concentrate and 1 tablespoon oil; stir until crumbly -- set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- To prepare cake, coat a 9-inch tube pan with cooking spray.
- Combine 1/4 cup oil and melted butter in a medium bowl.
- Add granulated sugar, vanilla, egg, and egg white; beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth.
- Lightly spoon all-purpose flour in dry measuring cups; level with a knife.
- Combine all-purpose flour and next 3 ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add flour mixture and sour cream alternately to egg mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Stir in cherries.
- Spoon half of batter into prepared pan; sprinkle with half of streusel.
- Spoon in remaining batter; top with remaining streusel.
- Bake at 350°F for 55 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack; run a knife around outside edge.
- Cool completely in pan.
The cake is so moist and flavorful. Wonderful way to use up fresh fruit. I used slivered almonds in the streusel and it was delicious.
This a lovely coffee cake - it's moist and has nice flavor. I gave a piece to my 9-year old and she went right back and cut herself a second piece as soon as she finished. I used bing cherries rather than tart cherries, though I'm sure tart would be good as well (as would blueberries, raspberries, etc.). I didn't have any orange juice concentrate, so I added a bit of orange juice from the carton - I'm sure the added intensity of the concentrate would be best. I added a bit more cinnamon, and added some allspice and cloves as well to the streusel. Thanks for sharing!