Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Easy and quick to make, I got this recipe from a supermarket catalogue. It makes a large number of bites, and I have halved the recipe successfully. Copha is vegetable shortening - solid vegetable oil.
- 4 cups desiccated coconut
- 400 g red glace cherries, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cherry brandy, flavoured essence
- 3 drops red food coloring
- 395 g sweetened condensed milk
- 375 g dark chocolate
- 30 g Copha (or other light flavored oil) or 30 ml peanut oil (or other light flavored oil)
- Combine coconut, cherries, essence, food colouring and sweetened condensed milk, mix well.
- Roll heaped teaspoonfuls of mixture into balls. Place on tray, refrigerate until firm.
- Melt chocolate and copha or oil together.
- Re-roll balls before dipping into chocolate mixture. Place on baking paper lined tray to set.
- Re-dip in chocolate mixture if necessary or if you like a thicker chocolate layer.
I made these to give out as part of my xmas gifts this year and they were a huge hit. I found them a bit fiddly to roll but the effort was worth it in the end