Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
this is similiar to a coffee cake I posted earlier..but it uses cherry pie filling which my husband prefers..both are really delicious
- 4 cups rhubarb
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch
- 20 ounces cherry pie filling
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- in a saucepan, cook rhubarb and lemon juice over medium low heat for 5 minutes -- stirring often to prevent burining.
- combine sugar and cornstarch; add to rhubarb mixture.
- cook and stir 5 minutes more until thickened and bubbly.
- stir in pie filling.set aside to cool.
- to prepare cake:.
- combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl -- cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- in a mixing bowl, beat buttermilk, eggs and vanilla.
- add to flour mixture, stir just until mixture is moistened.
- spread a little more than half of the batter into a greased 13x9 pan.
- spread cooled filling over batter.
- drop remaining batter by tspful onto filling.
- to topping, combine sugar and flour.cut in butter until mixture forms coarse crumbs.
- sprinkle over batter.
- bake at 350* for 40-45 minutes.