Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a favorite of our family and the kids don't do many desserts!!! (I am considering having DNA run on them to make sure they are "my" children!!!) My mother-in-law shared this with me last year. We grow our own rhubarb and this is the only way I can get anyone else to eat someone with me. I will cut and freeze the rhubarb to have fresh on hand when the cherries come on. Then, I will pit and freeze cherries to use later after the season is over.
- Filling: combine the filling ingredients in sauce pan, bring to boil to thicken.
- Add to 3 cups of chopped rhubarb.
- Mix well.
- Spread into 9x9 pan.
- Dot with butter.
- Crust: Cream butter and sugar.
- Add the egg and beat well.
- Combine flour and baking powder.
- Alternating, add flour mixture and milk to sugar and butter.
- Mix well.
- Pour over fruit.
- Bake at 350 degrees for apx.
- 1 hour.
- Check at 45 minutes.
- if oven runs hot.
- Very tasty with whipped cream.
- *can use 1 21 oz.
- can of cherry pie filling if you don't have fresh cherries.
- Just pour over the rhubarb and mix well.
- Don't add the sugar or flour.
darlene used cherry pie filling also
I'm not a big fan of rhubarb but the addition of the cherries made a believer out of me and now I can say I like rhubarb. :) I used cherry pie filling as I didn't have fresh on hand. The next time (and there will be a next time), I will use fresh cherries. Thanks Paddles, for showing me the light.