Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Source: Better Homes & Gardens
- 1 cup butter, softened, divided
- 2 1⁄2 cups brown sugar, packed and divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs, divided
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla, divided
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 cups fresh sweet cherries, pitted (such as Bing or Royal Ann)
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, slivered and toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Line 13x9x2-inch baking pan with foil; set aside.
- In mixing bowl beat 1/2 cup of the butter on medium to high 30 seconds.
- Add 1 cup of the brown sugar, the baking soda, and salt.
- Beat until combined, occasionally scraping bowl.
- Beat in 1 egg and 1/2 teaspoon of the vanilla.
- Beat or stir in 1-1/4 cups of the flour.
- Stir in oats; set aside.
- For filling, in saucepan stir remaining 1-1/2 cups brown sugar and 1/2 cup butter over medium heat until combined; cool slightly.
- Stir in remaining 3 eggs and 1 teaspoon vanilla; lightly beat with wooden spoon.
- Stir in remaining 1-1/4 cups flour and the chocolate.
- Set aside 3/4 cup oats mixture; press remaining in pan.
- Spread filling, top with cherries, dot with reserved oats mixture, and sprinkle nuts.
- Bake 25 minutes, until top is light brown and filling is moist.
- Cool on rack 1 hour.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Lift from pan; cut with serrated knife.
- Store, covered, at room temperature.
I hesitantly made this recipe after seeing it in Better Homes and Garden. It actually was a HUGE hit with my co-workers and family - they said it's their new favorite! I used a bag of frozen cherries, and did not even bother to thaw them out - the cherry/chocolate combo is awesome. I used bittersweet chocolate chips for the chocolate portion.
These bars are awesome!! I made these with fresh picked cherries from the orchard this past week!! I brought them for a work function and there were none left - we all have a sweet tooth!!
I didn't care for this at all. My kids liked it though. Way too much sugar. Could probably cut the sugar in half. Will not make again. I also cooked it for almost an hour.