Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a old recipe from the 1878s. It has never failed me when I have served it.
- 2 quarts fresh red sour cherries, pitted
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar, divided
- 1⁄8 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- whipped cream or ice cream
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large bowl, combine cherries with 1 1/2 cups of sugar and the almond extract; set aside.
- In another bowl, combine flour, 1 cup of sugar, baking powder, milk, and oil; mix well and pour into a greased 9x13-inch baking pan.
- Spoon cherry mixture over the batter.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until it tests done.
- Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream.
We took this to a fellowship meal at church today and enjoyed it a great deal. Thank you.