These sound so good. Haven't tried them yet, but this is a recipe I got from Michigan's Cherry Marketing Institute.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Put butter and brown sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed 3 to 4 minutes, or until well mixed.
- Combine flour, oats, baking soda and salt.
- Add flour mixture to sugar mixture and beat on low speed until crumbly.
- Spread 2/3 of the oat mixture into the bottom of an ungreased 9 x 13-inch baking pan.
- Press down to make a firm layer.
- Put cherry pie filling in an electric blender or food processor and purée until smooth.
- Pour cherry purée into a medium saucepan.
- Combine granulated sugar and cornstarch and stir into cherry purée.
- Cook, stirring constantly, over low heat until mixture is thick and bubbly.
- Stir in almond extract.
- Pour cherry mixture over oat layer and spread evenly.
- Top with remaining oat mixture.
- Bake 30- 35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool and cut into bars.