Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is the BEST cherry pound cake! I have been making this delicious and moist pound cake for years. I have used glace cherries, maraschino cherries and canned bing cherries. It works great with all of them. I have never done it with all of them together though....
- 1 cup butter
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 cup cherries, drained
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts
- Grease and flour an 8 inch tube pan. Mix 1/4 cup of flour with the cherries.
- Cream together the butter, sugar, cream cheese and vanilla. Add eggs, beating in one at a time. Beat well.
- Sift together flour and baking powder. Gradually add to creamed mixture. Fold in cherries.
- Sprinkle nuts in prepared pan. Spread batter over. Bake in a preheated 325*F oven for 1 hour and 20 minutes. Let Cool 5 minutes before removing from pan. I have also baked this in two loaf pans with great success! (A shorter baking time is needed of course in that case!).
This was very dry for a pound cake. I was shocked to put 3 T of baking powder. Taste was OK but I made this to take to work and share and chose not to do so.
I made this cake as described, using maraschino cherries and almonds. I baked it in a 24cm (9 inch) tube pan and it overflowed in the oven a bit, so I'd recommend a larger tin. I should also have tested it earlier because by 1hr 20min it was overcooked. Other than that, it's not bad, so I'll have another try one day.