I made this glaze while preparing a spiral sliced ham in the CI way, see Moist Spiral Cut Ham With Pineapple Honey Glaze . I don't much care for ruby port, so used tawny port and also light brown sugar. I reduced the pepper to 1/2 tsp., use more if you wish.A key to this recipe is the quality of cherry preserves. I used preserves from the Kedainiu konservu fabrikas, which contain 35% cherries and no preservatives. I found these at a large ethnic grocery.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Simmer the port in a small saucepan over medium heat until it is reduced to 2 tablespoons, about 5 minutes.
- 2Add the brown sugar, cherry preserves, and ground pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is thick, syrupy and reduced to 1 cup, 5 to 10 minutes.
- 3To use as glaze, bake your ham until it reached an internal temperature of 100 degrees.
- 4Remove ham from oven and increase oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- 5Cut open the oven bag (if using the CI method) and roll back the sides to expose the ham.
- 6Brush ham with about one-third of the glaze (a silicone brush is highly recommended).
- 7Return to the oven until the glaze becomes sticky, about 10 minutes.
- 8Remove ham from the oven, transfer to a cutting board, and brush te entire ham with another third of the glaze. (If the glaze has thickened, just reheat it briefly).
- 9Let the ham rest, loosely covered with foil, for 15 minutes.
- 10Heat the remaining third of the glaze with 4 to 6 tablespoons of the ham juices, until it forms a thick but fluid sauce. Pass the sauce with the ham.
- 11Note: I think this recipe makes enough for probably six people, at best, but did not really measure it out after adding the juices. Also, I found the ham juices very salty, and would probably use just two or three spoons of ham drippings, and low-sodium broth or water for the rest.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cherry-Port Glaze (Cook's Illustrated)
Serving Size: 1 (499 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1472.4
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 123.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 342.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 300.2 g
- Protein 1.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: