Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
A delicious cobbler that you wouldn't normally think of. Also good with cinnamon instead of nutmeg - I have also used all spice with great results. Recipe Source: Relish Mag
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 4 cups pitted cherries (about 1 1/3 pounds)
- 3 cups sliced plums, unpeeled (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- To prepare the biscuits, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Cut in shortening with a pastry cutter or two knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add buttermilk; stir just until moist.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- To prepare the fruit filling, combine cherries, plums, sugar, cornstarch, nutmeg and orange juice. Mix gently. Spoon into a 9-inch square or 1 1/2-quart baking dish.
- Drop biscuit dough over filling to form 9 mounds. Bake 45 minutes or until biscuits are golden and filling is bubbly.