Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
These have a shortbread base, cherry and pineapple filling and are topped with meringue. They are always a favorite and look so pretty on a plate of miscellaneous squares.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons icing sugar
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup crushed pineapple, with juice
- 4 ounces maraschino cherries, drained and cut up fine
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, dissolved in a little cool water
- 1⁄2 cup desiccated coconut, fine
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 egg whites, beaten stiff
- 5 tablespoons white sugar
- Mix flour, icing sugar and butter with hands and press into an 8”square pan.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
- Filling: Put pineapple, its juice, cherries, and white sugar in top of double boiler and when hot add cornstarch mixture.
- Cook until thick and clear, stirring continuously. Remove from heat.
- Add coconut and almond flavouring and spread on top of first mixture.
- Topping: Beat as for meringue and spread on top of filling. Bake slowly for 20 minutes in 300 degree oven.